Red and Kitty Forman are back for an exciting new sequel to That 70s show exclusively on Netflix. A new 30-minute comedy series from Carsey-Werner is in development and slated to go into production in February 2022. We also have exclusive details on the show’s characters and more.
Commissioned in October 2021, the new show is turning our clocks back to the mid-90s where all the kids from That 70s show have now grown up and left Wisconsin.
The new series is set in 1995 and sees Eric and Donna’s daughter visiting her grandparents for the summer. She quickly makes friends (more on who those friends are below) with new kids living in Point Place, WI.
Bonnie and Terry Turner, the co-creators of the original series will return as showrunners. Their daughter Lindsey Turner will also be involved in the writing process as well as Gregg Mettler who also participated in the original show.
Who will star in That 90s Show on Netflix?
So far, only two cast members have been confirmed as part of the initial announcement.
Kurtwood Smith will return to reprise his role as Reginald “Red” Forman.
Debra Jo Rupp will also return to play Kitty Forman.
We can also reveal some of the new characters we can expect to see on That 90s Show, although it should be noted that character names are subject to change. Let’s review the new characters:
- Leia Forman (14 years old) – Daughter of Eric (the character of Topher Grace in That 70s show) and Donna (character of Laura Prepon in That 70s show) and described as clever and coltish book.
- Gwen (14 years old) – Described as a short, edgy powerhouse who dresses in pink hair and ripped jeans.
- Nathan (16 years old) – Gwen’s older brother and described as a corn-fed Midwesterner and drives in a battered old Dodge van.
- Jay (15 years old) – Described as a true romantic, Jay is an aspiring director and constantly carries around his camera.
- Ozzie (14 years old) – Gwen’s best friend who is gay and not afraid to show it. Also described as incredibly honest.
- Nisha (15 years old) – This female character comes from a gifted family and although she is intelligent and always strong-willed, she also has a rebellious nature. She is also dating Nate.
Considering we’ll be seeing Eric and Donna’s daughter on the show, that could suggest Laura Prepon and Topher Grace will be back, but that’s yet to be officially confirmed. We could see them appear by dropping Leia at the start of the series or at the end.
Will any other That 70s Show cast members show up? It is possible but as we have already discussed Valderrama’s comments and Kutcher suggests we’re unlikely to see them return.
When will That 90s Show be filmed?
According to production listings seen by What’s on Netflix, the show was currently set to begin filming in early 2022.
Thanks to Variety Overviewwe can confirm that film for That 90s show must take place between February 7 and April 30, 2022.
The series is filmed in Los Angeles, California.
Will this show from the 70s return to Netflix?
One of the questions you might have in the future is whether or not Netflix will buy back the rights to the original series, That 70s show.
For those unaware, Netflix held the worldwide streaming rights for That 70s show for several years before Netflix lost the rights in September 2020.
Over a year later, the show still hasn’t found a new streaming home, but given the connection to That 90s show, we might see Netflix relisting it. Given Netflix’s new relationship with Carsey-Werner, we’re hoping to see more collaborations on covers or new projects, but maybe also see their old library licensed from Netflix. Their back library hits include titles like Anchored for life, 3rd Rock of the Sun, Rosanneand A different world.
Are you looking forward to That 90s show coming to Netflix? Let us know in the comments below.